Opinions. Everybody Has 'Em.

Tuesday, 12 April 2016

New Stories Out And Coming Out

So, after several years of a complete lack of production of writing and intense dislike of even putting pen to paper, it seems that The Muse has made a return and I have made a return to, well, putting pen to paper. Without dislike. Two collections of general fiction short stories and novellas, A Night At Castle Kozlak & Other Stories, and Down At Pomba Gira’s & Other Stories, have been completed and are active on Kindle at Amazon, and a new LGBT supernatural romance, The Horseman’s Daughter, has just gone to be formatted and should be available within a couple weeks.

I’m particularly happy with the latter as I really, really got sick and tired for a long time of everything and anything LGBT. No need to take the rake to that pile again, suffice it to say my general feelings about the ‘les-fic community’ have not changed. I’m simply relieved to have my personal writing ability back despite it.
The short story/novella collections are general fiction, mainly culled from stories written years ago, some of which were published in small press magazines, and a few new ones. There is some humor, some horror, some folklore and mythology, and even a wee bit of romance. The Nuckelavee and The Magic Of Tradition are both based on local Orcadian tales, and the collection is dedicated to my late Mum because The Magic Of Tradition was one of my few ‘nice’ stories that she read and liked. You know mums when your preferred genre is horror…“Why can’t you write more nice stories?” “Because I have a dark mind, Mum” is generally not the best answer to that.

The Horseman’s Daughter, my first Orkney-based novel, takes the legend of the sea-monster the Nuckelavee and expands on that, but it is mainly a romance, something which took me by complete surprise. The basic outline and characters were sketched out over two years ago and then shelved along with pretty much everything else, until earlier this year when the first draft practically wrote itself in a couple of weeks! Blurb and cover can be viewed on my website if you want an idea of what you’ll be getting. Otherwise, I’m working on something completely new for my publishers, Untreed Reads, a general fiction romance also with a supernatural tint and also Orkney-based. I have begun work again on Book 3 of the Vampires of Hollywood series but, sorry, no idea at all of when that will be complete. Ditto for the New Orleans Mysteries series.

Patience, Grasshoppers.

The creative ghosts and demons have been worked out

No comments:

Post a Comment