Opinions. Everybody Has 'Em.

Saturday, 23 April 2011

Shoot Out : Surviving the Fame and (Mis)Fortune of HollywoodShoot Out : Surviving the Fame and (Mis)Fortune of Hollywood by Peter Bart

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I love Hollywood, from past to present, technical to gossip, and I have a large collection of books reflecting this. I bought this one because it appeared to be in the mould of Julia Philips's 'You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again' and William Goldman's 'Adventures In The Screen Trade', and whilst that is true to a degree, 'Shoot Out' is still not quite as good as either of those. Written by two long-time insiders, Peter Bart and Peter Gruber, both studio heads and movie producers at one time or another, it is on the whole an entertaining read. It did get quite technically detailed at times, to the point of being dry, especially when the authors are describing the financial shenanigans of today's 'corporate Hollywood'. Still, I suppose financial wheeling and dealing isn't easy to make sexy unless you are Gordon Gecko!





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment